Wednesday, October 23, 2013

LOVE HANDLES ™


This is another product developed from a personal need.    I have a number of vintage alligator pocketbooks, and unfortunately the handles are the first part of any purse that show wear, and deterioration.

There is no way to prevent our hands from depositing perspiration, oil, and salt, or heaven forbid nicotine, on the handles and straps of our bags.
Years ago women wore gloves, and this helped to protect, and preserve their investment.

After spending a considerable sum, on my handbag collection, I didn't want my leather handles degrading.
I played around with a number of shapes and sizes, and sent in another request to Hermes hoping that they would accept to make my "love handles" to match the colours in my collection.

That was almost five years ago, and two years ago I was getting desperate, as one of my most costly bags was already compromised (notice the darkened shiny areas on handles) from gentle seasonal use.


Now my Himalayan doesn't leave home without Love Handles™

On humid days I would fold up a piece of tissue, so it wasn't visible outside the palm of my hand, and although it was better than nothing, I thought I could come up with something better.

Using one of my favourite materials; Ultrasuede® the fabric immortalised by Halston, I went to work making some simple samples to suffice, until I heard back from Hermes.
I found a hexagon shape worked well for my needs.   The shape gives a little extra width across my fingers, and isn't obviously visible; which is a important to me.   I  wouldn't  leave them on my handles 24/7 like some people do with their Hermes Twilly scarves.
I use them on hot humid days, or after a manicure.    I always carry a pair in my bags in case my hands perspire.   If I come in contact with something sticky, or grimy; they give me some protection until I can wash my hands.    I always use them when I travel, on my handbags and my luggage.


I use the small hexagon Love Handle most of the time, as I have a small hand; and although they are not snug on my Birkin handles, I find them fast and easy to remove.
When I need a little extra protection , or I'm not in a place where I would put my bag down, I use the newest model for rolled handles
.   These fit snug, and don't bulk, so they are not obvious.



Both styles can be used on shoulder straps too.   You can wrap one around both straps keeping them together, and wrap one around the straps where you naturally hold on to them.    Straps stay on your shoulder without that annoying slip.



Love Handles are completely washable, and latex free.   Made from 100% recycled material, they are eco friendly, and cruelty-free.    Plus a portion of each sale is donated to Pollinator Partnership,  so you're helping promote the health of pollinators critical to our food, and ecosystems. What's not to love about that?




2 comments:

  1. You think you're pretty smart. It's illegal to put patent pending on something if it isn/t.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous, there are serious consequences using the words patent pending on products when a patent hasn't been filed. I would never do this. Love Handles ™ have filed utility patent applications in the US and PCT.
    Thank you for your concern.

    ReplyDelete